Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Getting Visas to the UK

For three weeks now we have been doing everything to get visa's for our planned week-long visit to the UK. The 12 delegates accumulated all sorts of documents, some from their husbands saying they are definitely returning to their families, some from PROINVEST stating what the importance of the visit is. I bought all the flights and we had tickets to prove the delegates were actually going, I sent money to the organisations to cover the expenses of applying for visa's, I booked and paid for the first night in the hotel in London.
And what happens?

7 of the 12 visa's were denied. Denied! I can't believe it. Here I am organising a trade mission, in the context of EU-ACP trade relations, and the UK does not allow my delegation to participate.

I got the following letter today.

"Your enquiry was passed to me yesterday and I’ve now had a look at these cases. In all cases there was a lack of satisfactory evidence of the personal circumstances of the applicant. We do not doubt that they have been invited or that arrangements are in place for their visit as there is ample documentation showing this, however we need to see the individuals’ personal circumstances in their home country e.g. evidence of employment, personal bank statements, property ownership, family circumstances, in order to be satisfied that they will leave the UK at the end of the visit. This is where the problem lies.

The reasons for the refusal are fully explained in the individual refusal notices. Should applicants wish to re-apply they will need to ensure they cover the points raised and submit documentary evidence to show what their personal circumstances are.

I note that the travel date was proposed to be 26/27 Feb so it will not be possible to have applications processed in time unless you can delay or re-arrange the visit for a later date."


It is absurd. There is ample evidence the women will return. And what I understand is, the visa issuing organisation wants our delegates to start from scratch and pay the fee AGAIN and wait another two weeks and possibly, highly possibly, be denied again.


I am on the phone. We can't accept this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment